We have been sharing such great weaning tips and recipes at our Little Hands Baby Sign classes recently and I wanted to share a family favourite – Baby Porridge Fingers, an easy, fun breakfast treat.
This easy recipe was shared with me a few years ago by a fabulous mum from our class. You can add pretty much anything you like to the mixture and they make great snacks out and about too…. enjoy!
Baby Porridge Fingers
- 3 tbsp oats
- 100ml any milk
Add any of the following depending on taste/age/allergies:
- Chopped almonds
- Mashed banana (use a little less milk)
- Grated apple
- Grated pear
- Chocolate drops
- Anything you fancy!
- Let the oats stand in milk for 15 minutes if possible
- For a smooth consistency, whizz them up in a mini chopper
- Or crush in a pestle & mortar or with the back of a spoon
- Press into a flat dish or a deep Tupperware box
- Microwave for 2/3 minutes
- Turn out, cut into fingers whilst warm
- Check temperature before giving to your child
- Keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
It might take a few attempts to get the right consistency, depending on the milk and microwave you use. These were really tasty and an easy option for breakfast when my little ones were small. Our personal favourite was grated pear and choc drops…..yum yum yum.
For more details and information about weaning check out the NHS Start 4 Life First Foods Guide.
Little Hands Baby Sign classes run Ealing Broadway, Hanwell and Brentford, West London. Find out more about the classes here.